Tuesday, August 3, 2010

In Memory of....


It is unbelievable how much time as past since that sunny morning on August 3, 1992. I can still remember my mom coming into the room saying things were looking good, that dad had a good night. It was the first time I had seen her in days. While she was asking how our sleepover went, (our friend Pattie spent the night) the phone rang and my grandmother yelled, "Joan, they need you to come back". A short while later, a car pulled up and I saw my mother get out. I remember thinking, "dad is coming home". In that instant, my world was turned upside down.

I thought that today would be an appropriate day to share a poem.

"We remember when you took us on those short little hikes,
and helped us ride those two wheel bikes.
We remember when we watched you play ball,
when it was time to go home, we heard you call.
Oh Dad, we remember it all.

We remember when we went to the cabin to stay,
and fished from the beaches of that calm little bay.
Those are the good memories.
They'll never fade away.

But, then Dad.
In tears we saw you sinking,
We watched you fade away.
Our hearts were almost broken,
You fought so hard to stay.
But when we saw you sleeping,
so peacefully free from pain,
We could not wish you back,
To suffer that again."

No comments: