Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Kids Say the Darndest Things....

"Dates are for having fun, and people should use them to get to know each other. Even boys have something to say if you listen long enough." -- KSTDT

This one is for all the mommy's and step-mommy's out there!!

I am sitting here with Abby, my 7 year old stepdaugther, on the weekend playing with the Build-a-Bears when there is a small break in the conversation. I look over at her and she has a very intent look on her face and I am waiting for her to spill whatever it is that she is thinking about. Of course, I was not one bit prepared for what came next.

Abby: You know what?
Me: What!?
Abby: I never want to get married.
Me: Oh...why not?
Abby: I don't want to have a baby.
Me: Why wouldn't you want to have a baby?
Abby: I don't want it to rip the inside of my belly out!!
Me: pause...oh?
Abby: How do babies get out of your belly?
Me: ummm..well...Maybe you should ask your mommy, because she already had babies!

The conversation quickly turned on me and when I was going to have babies, but thats for another blog.

While I was proud of my quick thinking, I was freaked out the entire night. It made me think that this may not be the first time I am hit with these questions, and based on the "better you than me" response, I assume I am expected to answer them when they come up!

So here is my question...what is the best way to respond? How much is to much?

I would love your thoughts!

A

No comments: